Here at McRae Medical Laser Spa, we often meet patients who wish to look younger without undergoing a facelift. Two procedures we often recommend are Botox® and Ultherapy®, both of which can provide you with some amazing results. How do you know which one is right for you? Here is some information that will help you decide.
Botox® is a neuro toxin containing a safe, effective form of botulinum toxin that is injected underneath the skin in the forehead or brow area. It is primarily used to correct forehead wrinkles, frown lines and so-called “crow’s feet” around the eyes. It works by temporarily paralyzing the muscles in this area, thereby giving the skin a smoother appearance.
Ultherapy® on the other hand, uses ultrasound waves to penetrate deep layers of your skin. These waves encourage collagen production, something that naturally decreases as you grow older. This, in turn, plumps the skin from underneath, providing fullness and firmer, younger-looking skin. Although it may be used in a number of areas, it is most effective at lifting sagging cheeks and jaws.
Which One is Right?
Since these two procedures primarily treat different areas of the face, the one you choose will largely depend on which problem you are trying to correct. Many of our patients choose Ultherapy to help lift the skin on the lower part of the face, followed by a Botox® injection a week or two later to smooth forehead wrinkles.
Some other things to keep in mind:
- Ultherapy® is non-invasive, as laser beams are transmitted with the use of a special hand piece. Botox® is minimally invasive, requiring only the use of a very thin needle.
- The results of Botox® may last around six months, while Ultherapy® benefits can be seen for up to two years. This means that if you are having Botox® in conjunction with Ultherapy®, you will require approximately three to four maintenance injections during that time.
- The full effects of Botox® are seen almost immediately. With Ultherapy®, you will notice some improvement within a few days, but it will take several weeks for the full effects to become visible.
- You may require two or three Ultherapy® sessions to achieve the look you desire. Only one Botox® injection is need to provide you with optimum results.
- While Ultherapy® can lift sagging skin, it is not designed to replace lost volume due to aging. As such, if you are concerned with sunken cheeks, you could need an additional filler such as Juvederm® or Voluma®.
The Bottom Line
Ultherapy® and Botox® are both effective treatments that can erase years off of your face without surgery. Please schedule an appointment with Dr. McRae to discuss the benefits of each and find out which one is right for you.